Benguet pitches in for Bohol-A A +A
Monday, October 21, 2013
LA TRINIDAD, Benguet -- Governor Nestor Fongwan is asking the Provincial Board to allot P200,000 for Bohol in the light the devastation it is experiencing now.
Fongwan said the cash donation is to help the area in whatever way it can. "We want to extend our help to the area, they need it now," he said.
The Provincial Board convened Monday morning and sought to find means on how to source out the donation for Bohol.
Fongwan is asking the provincial board to approve the request for assistance with a sense of urgency to be culled from reserved funds.
A total of 185 deaths have been confirmed so far from the magnitude-7.2 quake that shook Bohol last week, it is believed that the death toll can reach over 200.
Fongwan said similar aid poured in for the highlands when the province was devastated by typhoons in the past.
Fongwan goes back to the times when the province was struck by typhoon Pepeng in 2009 and an outpour of support came from all parts of the country aiming to pay it forward whenever there is a chance.
For the areas devastated by the quake cost of damages to infrastructure remains at almost P550 million with at least 28,165 houses damaged.
Fongwan emphasized the need to share resources to areas which urgently need the assistance at this time. “Even though the province would also need the money in case of emergency or disaster, we also need to share and help.”
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on October 22, 2013.