Clearing along Kennon up-A A +A
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
AROUND 20 illegal structures along Kennon Road are now subjects for demolition by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) – Baguio City Engineering Office.
City Engineer Ireneo Gallato revealed they are now processing the demolition order of the illegal structures along Kennon Road. He said they had been sending notices to the squatters for them to voluntary vacate the area but to no avail.
With this, Gallato said they will soon have a meeting with the city government in order for DPWH to propose for officials to issue a demolition order. He added they will soon prioritize the demolition of the illegal structures which cause higher obstruction to motorists. He further said they will demolish illegal structures up until the Lion’s head.
Meanwhile, Gallato said there are also squatters along Marcos Highway which are the subject of a demolition order which he already signed. He said they are just waiting for the implementation of the order.
The district engineer disclosed they had been conducting Friday visits to all national roads in the city in partnership with the Philippine National Police and the Peace, Order and Safety Division of the Mayor's Office in order to remove temporary structures which cause obstruction.
During these visits, the team collects materials illegally displayed along national roads. This as the Highways official explained illegal vendors are the number one obstruction in the area.
Meanwhile, DPWH Regional Director Edilberto Carabbacan revealed yesterday their major problems which usually hinder the implementation of their programs are road right of way, illegal settlers, and encroachment of roads.
He called on those concerned to vacate the areas for the development of the region. He said in every development, there is always sacrifice attached to it.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on January 09, 2014.