Immunization drive ongoing in Valley

-A A +A

Friday, January 31, 2014


La Trinidad, Benguet -- A drive to immunize children is on.

Councilor Roderick Awingan is requesting all barangay councils in town to lead an Anti-Measles information and Education Campaign and encourage parents to submit their children for vaccination.

Awingan said the drive against measles will be more effective if it is led by the barangay.

Advertisement

“So we can have a 100 percent immunized community,” he stressed adding the information drive not only underlines the importance of measles vaccines but all immunization needed.

Measles is caused by a virus which attacks the respiratory tract. Its clinical presentation is very similar to the ordinary flu and is characterized by fever, runny nose and coughing.

The skin rashes may appear after several days after the onset of fever. It is highly contagious, five to six times more than the ordinary virus; it can rapidly spread through the cough or sneeze of the infected person.

Awingan said the Department of Health has declared a measles outbreak in several provinces and nine cities in Metro Manila with more than 1,700 confirmed cases of the potentially serious viral infection, the situation is expected to get worse as measles usually peak during summer

“Bulacan and Nueva Viscaya have already declared outbreaks and these areas are nearing the region,” he reported.

The alderman explained through the resolution, “The only way to prevent measles is by receiving measles immunization. This is commonly given as a shot containing measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR) or a shot containing measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella vaccine (MMRV) which is available in our health centers.”

The barangay education campaign aims to prevent the occurrence and infection of measles to our children there is need to inform our constituents of the program of the local government unit and to knowledgeably equipped them of what they need to know about this dreaded disease.

“The barangays councils as forefront in the delivery of basic services to our constituents is now enjoined to lead in this health emergency concern,” Awingan said.

The resolution was approved last week, during the council’s regular session.

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on February 01, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Baguio front page for September 18, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • ePaper
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity