Miranda assumes post-A A +A
By JM Agreda
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
BAGUIO officials were recently caught unaware of the recent change in command at the Baguio City Police Office on Wednesday.
Police Senior Superintendent Rolando Miranda, Police Regional Office-Cordillera’s Regional Operations and Planning Division Chief on assumed as the Officer-in-Charge of the Baguio City Police Office (BCPO) replacing Police Senior Superintendent Jesus Cambay Jr.
Miranda called on all station commanders of the BCPO Wednesday morning for a command conference introducing himself as the new acting director and setting the direction of his tenure at the city police office.
Miranda said his assumption into office was long planned by the PRO-Cordillera as the city government is fully aware of Cambay’s replacement effective March 1.
To recall, Mayor Mauricio Domogan told reporters last week he was informed by Regional Director Isagani Nerez on February 18 they will replace Cambay of Miranda ahead of his tour of duty of two years.
Domogan and other city officials also aired their sentiments and support to Cambay including several barangays and businessmen approving of the official’s performance in maintaining peace and order in the city.
Domogan also told reporters last week he had an understanding with Nerez of the police chief's retention but was also surprised of his replacement.
The mayor told reporters Monday the City Government should always be duly informed and consulted of the changes in local police leadership.
Meantime, Miranda told Sun.Star Baguio Wednesday he is fortunate of temporarily handling the affairs of the BCPO upon orders of the regional director.
“Hindi naman biglaan ito at this has been planned before at nainform naman si Sir Jess at si Mayor at pagka may vacancy naman dyan ay somebody has to take care of the unit or office so kailangan talaga na may ilalagay na officer-in-charge,” he said.
The BCPO acting director also said the prerogative of designating a new police chief for the city is still the call of Mayor Domogan as his function is only on a temporary basis.
"So kung ang performance ko ba ay magugustuhan ng ating mahal na mayor ay pwede rin akong maging city director hopefully. Ang sa akin lang naman ay gagampanan ko ang trabaho ko bilang officer-in-charge by giving my full support sa administration ni mayor," he said.
The police chief added the direction of his tenure at the BCPO is still on lowering crimes and maintaining peace and order in the city adding the reshuffling of station commanders is not his top priority.
"Ang priority ko dito ngayon ay i-supervise and kapulisan natin. Panatilihin and katahimikan sa Baguio at sugpuin ang kriminalidad at i-ensure ang public safety sa ating lungsod," he said.
The new acting director has not yet met with Mayor Domogan as of Wednesday noon as he said they are still coordinating and setting an appointment for a meeting with the local chief executive.
Pro-Cordillera spokesperson Insp. Virgilio Hidalgo told reporters Wednesday that regional director Nerez is still in Camp Crame and will be available for interview on the police chief's replacement on Thursday.
He stressed the selection of the new city police chief will still undergo the usual screening process from a list of five names that will be submitted by regional office to the city mayor.
The PRO-Cordillera spokesperson also said former city director Cambay for the meantime will be assigned to the regional office while waiting for his next designation.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 06, 2014.