MAYOR Mauricio Domogan last week directed city administrator Carlos Canilao to immediately fix the problem on the lease contracts of the tenants at the Baguio Convention Center.
In a memorandum dated March 14, the mayor reminded Canilao of an earlier directive to ensure all operations of the occupants in the facility are covered by the necessary contracts to avoid questions and complications.
“You were then directed to see to it all occupants are covered by contracts of lease submitted to the City Council for confirmation,” the mayor said.
“This memorandum is therefore being sent to you to ensure you complied with all the said requirements.”
Canilao in turn ordered the City Tourism operations division to submit a report on the status of the contracts and the actions done in compliance to the mayor’s earlier directive and assured the contracts will be in order by next week in compliance with the mayor’s order.
Issues on the contracts of the tenants of the facility hounded the city government particularly the failure to renew the expired memorandum of agreement and the lack of confirmation by the city council.
This has even reached the attention of the Commission on Audit last year which prompted the city council to review the contracts.
Canilao said there are less than 10 concessionaires in the facility including Smart Telco, the Securities and Exchange Commission and van operators and drivers associations which use the area for parking. (Aileen Refuerzo/PIO)
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on March 21, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.