Benguet town mayor seeks ground assessment | SunStar

Benguet town mayor seeks ground assessment

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Benguet town mayor seeks ground assessment

Thursday, August 03, 2017

MAYOR Materno Luspian of Mankayan town, Benguet, is asking for an impact assessment of the underground due to sinking.

Luspian said during the Philippine Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (PH-EITI) road show that assessment is being done on open pits and surface areas but it is also important to assess the situation of the underground, where the mines are operating and extracting.

The mayor said sinking in the town is being monitored as well as all landslide prone areas since the massive sinking started years ago which could not be pinned to extractive activities of the mining town.

In 2009, over 3,000 residents and two school buildings in Poblacion were affected by the sinking of the ground, which has saddled and worried the local government since.

Studies show that P93 million is needed to relocate residents and structures from the sunken areas to safer grounds.

The Mines and Geosciences Bureau has no known reports of a town likened to the Mankayan area where sinking has been of this magnitude.

Mankayan is a mining town, where Lepanto Consolidated Mining Corporation (LCMC) has been conducting drillings and underground blasting for decades.

Luspian said LCMC has been operating for almost 80 years and an assessment is underway to see what has been going on underground.

The EITI is an international initiative that promotes a global standard of transparency in all extractive industries. In this round there were 31 companies which participated in the disclosure and survey.

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on August 03, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments