Sultans’ spat to be heard in Baguio council | SunStar

Sultans’ spat to be heard in Baguio council

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Sultans’ spat to be heard in Baguio council

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

THE disagreements of the Muslim community will be heard by the Baguio City Council.

This, after Yasser Guro, head of the National Commission for Muslim Filipinos (NCMF), sent a letter asking the council to ban the recent enthronement of three sultans in Baguio City.

The enthronement of Sultans Andres Roberto Muran as Sultan Cabugatan, Retired Colonel Omar Adigue as Sultan Makapundug and Akjer Hadji Hakim as Sultan Ma-Amor is being protested by Guro and has asked the backing of the City Council.

Councilor Edgar Avila, from the committee on laws, human rights and justice has recommended inviting the concerned parties to shed light on the issue, saying “we will give them due process.”

Guro said the sultanate was only established in the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao provinces and its succession to power is based on genealogy in accordance to birthright.

He explained further that the sultanate in Muslim Mindanao is observed and practiced only in Muslim provinces like Sulu, Maguindanao, Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Lanao del Sur where Muslims are dominant and where sultanate itself was established historically.

Avila said both parties will be called to discuss the matter to give both groups a chance to air their side.

Sultan Mohammad Amin Baab Torres of the Sultan Torres Foundation led the enthronement of the three sultans.

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on September 13, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments