Revocation of EBA Construction's permit eyed | SunStar

Revocation of EBA Construction's permit eyed

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Revocation of EBA Construction's permit eyed

Saturday, September 23, 2017

BAGUIO. A resident points out to the ongoing construction of a high-rise building along South Drive which affected road-right-of-way as well as damaging neighboring homes. (Milo Brioso)

BAGUIO City Councilor Leandro Yangot has moved for the cancellation of the permits under the property of Eusebio Aquino at South Drive.

Complaints have reached the office of Yangot on EBA encroaching on the road-right-of-way of the Calinao property.

Yangot said EBA has also extended to the national road which is in violation of building permits issued and is asking the city to revoke the building permit of EBA construction and to file the appropriate case in court.

Months ago, Aldo Calderon of EBA construction and building owner Eusebio Aquino faced the local council over inconveniences caused by construction of a high-rise building along South Drive and was castigated for not responding to letters from South Drive village chief Maribel Cagalawan, the City Buildings and Architecture Office (CBAO) Nazita Bañez as well warnings by the Department of Public Works and Highways over dangers their construction has caused.

Calderon vowed to do necessary repair in a six-month period.

“Despite continuous written and verbal requests for them to exert mitigating measures, damages both material and non-material, were caused by EBA constructions excavation on the area which had been tormenting the neighboring residences, the barangay concerned and all motorists passing the area,” Yangot said.

The property at South Drive was purchased by Aquino and developed the area for a six-storey hotel building and three levels parking.

As early as 2016, the village chief of South Drive issued a warning for EBA construction for violations of barangay laws.

The Calinao family anew has likewise written Bañez to act on the violations of the construction company.

“We wish to push our effort once more in making an earnest appeal to you to renew your order for EBA to deploy at least some of their workers to work on the retaining wall on our side for the safeguard of life and property,” Calinao patriarch Ernesto Sr. urged to Bañez.

Calinao also appealed to Bañez to extend their orders to EBA construction to address the deplorable condition caused by the excavation on their property.

“We are simple folk, living a simple quiet and peaceful life in this corner of our beloved City of Baguio. We are old timers who have practically spent all our lives here. All we are asking for is the respect for our human rights as anyone deserves in a civilized society. To redeem the use and benefits of our properties and a simple way of life we cherish so much,” added Calinao Sr.

Residents have also been complaining of ground subsidence as well as the fear of the road to collapse because of the ongoing work as half of the road has already been closed due to subsidence adding to the traffic woes in the area.

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on September 23, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments