Bibak demolition continues | SunStar

Bibak demolition continues

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Bibak demolition continues

Friday, October 20, 2017

DEMOLITION within the BIBAK compound is set to continue until all illegal structures have been cleared.

On Wednesday, 58 structures were demolished by the City Demolition Team occupied by settlers.

An interagency task force composed of the National Culture for Indigenous Peoples, Department of Environment and Natural Resources and the Local Government Unit of the City will form the over sight committee tasked to create a master development plan and the sight development plan for the compound.

Once the master and sight development plan is created, the three agencies of government will determine other uses for the facility aside from its cultural use.

The BIBAK compound measures 5000 square meters, and is under the Title OCT No.1 owned by the government since the 1960's.

The BIBAK building used to house the Cordillera Regional Assembly is set to be fully rehabilitated and used for cultural purposes.

In the years the BIBAK area was used by the illegal settlers, persons were reported to have two houses, while others set their houses for rent while some had their spaces extended.

Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan said "the demolition order which have been rescheduled comes timely since all the illegal settlers have benefitted from the BIBAK compound for so many years without paying any taxes to the government."

Domogan said after the area is fully demolished, it will be fenced out to prevent the re-entry of illegal settlers.

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on October 21, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments