Bibak lot rehab to start | SunStar

Bibak lot rehab to start

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Bibak lot rehab to start

Saturday, November 11, 2017

A MASTER development plan for the space at the Benguet-Ifugao-Bontoc-Apayao-Kalinga (Bibak) property along Harrison road is needed before illegal settlers decide to come back.

Mayor Mauricio Domogan said the fencing of the reclaimed compound will swiftly begin as the technical working group convenes to craft the plan.

The city will be working with the National Commission for Indigenous Peoples as well as the Department of Environment and Natural Resources for the rehabilitation of the compound with pooled funding from the three entities.

Domogan said an assessment will be done for the building set up in the compound if it could be rehabilitated or brought down to make space for planned structures for the area.

The mayor said planning and work for the Bibak compound will be fast to avoid another invasion of illegal settlers to avoid ejectment problems by the government.

The demolition of structures became a reality last month after a legal battle between occupants and the government despite the courts junking a motion for reconsideration of 50 occupants who insist they had a right over the government owned lot.

Bibak compound measures 5000 square meters, and is under the Title OCT No.1 owned by the government since the 1960's.

The Bibak building used to house the Cordillera Regional Assembly is being eyed for cultural purposes. In previous years, the BIBAK area was used by the illegal settlers, persons were reported to have two houses, while others set their houses for rent while some had their spaces extended.

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on November 11, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments