BAGUIO City will impose a total ban on the use of firecrackers during the Christmas and New Year revelry and urge the public to follow the law.
Baguio City Mayor Mauricio Domogan reminded the public Wednesday, December 6, of the city's ordinance banning the sale and use of firecrackers particularly this Christmas season.
Any person, firm, entity or corporation violating the provisions of the city ordinance will be punished according to the gravity of their offense, Domogan said.
During the weekly Kapihan, regional and city health authorities, police and fire officials collectively called on the public to be reminded of the existing ban on the use, sale and manufacture of firecrackers to prevent injuries caused by legally and illegally bought pyrotechnics.
"Whether it’s legal or illegally bought, it still possess risk. Although last year’s record showed a big drop in the number of firecracker related injuries, it however showed the injuries were passive injuries or those accidentally hit by firecrackers," said Domogan.
Domogan has also called on the neighboring municipalities to support the city by applying it to their municipalities as well.
"The municipalities of La Trinidad, Itogon and Sablan are in agreement with us and may soon come out with their own version of our City Ordinance No. 53. We are hoping that Tuba will also consider the creation of a similar ordinance in their place," added the mayor.
Dra. Donabelle Tubera of the City Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit reported five firecracker related injuries last year, or a 62 percent decrease compared to the cases recorded in the previous year.
Baguio City Police Office City Director Ramil Saculles assured the police forces adherence and obedience to the city ordinance by arresting would be violators.
"Although we conduct checkpoints on a regular basis as part of our anti-criminality campaign in the city, we will do everything to prevent the sale and use of firecrackers in the city as provided for by the ordinance,” Saculles added.
Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on December 07, 2017.
Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.