BAGUIO City Councilor Mylen Yaranon said plans for the Baguio Convention Center will proceed this year.
“As of our meeting with the Technical Working Group (TWG) and the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), last December 20, they will use the TWG plan prepared by the city,” Yaranon said.
A TWG composed of Baguio architects and engineers collaborated to formulate the direction and phasing of the BCC’s retrofitting and renovation plan starting 2017 and the coming years.
The budget will be coursed through the DPWH, which will implement the project based on the plans made by the TWG costing P180 million.
“This time we removed the second basement level supposed to be parking, because according to DPWH, was not part of the scope of work and entails an expensive structural cost,” added Yaranon.
The development plan had been directed by a 2012 feasibility study conducted by the City and guided by the collaboration between the City Buildings and Architecture Office (CBAO) and the Private and Public Sectors.
Based on the feasibility study’s recommendations, the plan for retrofitting and renovation aimed at finding the best balance between modernization, heritage/historical conservation, and financial viability.
Yaranon said there were also suggestions from DPWH that we incorporated like the additional perimeter retaining walls to allow natural lighting at the basement.
Mayor Mauricio Domogan is waiting for the final consolidated plan from DPWH for him to sign his approval.
Yaranon said work for the convention center will be divided into three phases.
Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on January 04, 2018.
Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.