M. A. Camilo Freight and Trucking Services has been instructed by the court to expedite its operations of hauling waste on its staging facility at Puguis Lamtang La Trinidad, Benguet.
In the order of the Regional Trial Court Branch 10, acting Presiding Judge Emmanuel Cacho Rasing said the staging facility was supposed to be closed last year.
"The respondent M.A. Camilo Freight Services openly defied the order dated December 14,2017 not only failing to commence the rehabilitation of the subject transfer station but also continuing beyond December 31, 2017," the order states.
The transfer station was ordered to be closed by December 22 but was extended to December 31 to accommodate the expected heavy volume of garbage accumulated in Baguio City during the holiday season and to coincide with the expiration of its contract.
"The order dated December 14, 2017 is clear when it said by January 1, 2018, the site will no longer be used as a transfer station. The court meant what it said and will not hesitate to put into full force its contempt powers in case of stubborn defiance with its order," added the order.
The court ordered the hearing of M.A. Camilo of their compliance set on January 25.
Based on the inspection report dated January 3 of the Environment Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources, the transfer station is still receiving residual waste coming from the fleet of garbage trucks of the city government.
The trucks were loaded with residual wastes set to be delivered to the Urdaneta City, Pangasinan Sanitary Landfill.
Eugene Buyucan, OIC of the general Services of Baguio relayed M.A. Camilo Freight Services or the City Government of Baguio did not file any motion for reconsideration to the court for the extension of the use of the waste transfer station at Lamtang.
M.A. Camilo Freight Services were also directed to ensure that not a single residual waste coming from the city enters the closed transfer station.
La Trinidad Municipal Police Station Police Chief Inspector Benson Macli-ing said they have deployed police officers to man in the area.
As of writing, M.A. Camilo told SunStar Baguio they are 80 percent complete in their clearing operations.
Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on January 20, 2018.
Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.