WE RECEIVED a very early private message from a client last week. She was asking for prayers because she would be having an emergency Caesarian section that day. Later at night, when we asked how she was, she said she and her baby were doing fine. The baby was premature but was okay.
My heart smiled when she gave me her baby's name. It is heartwarming to know the lessons we've taught have lodged themselves in her psyche, and her baby will be her constant reminder, her living mantra, if you will. Zyanya Reiko. Gratitude always. Grateful forever.
A beautiful beautiful name that evokes a beautiful beautiful feeling.
Forever and always grateful. This is what we teach.
I hope I remembered to tell her before she gave birth that during labor is the time she will be most open to receiving blessings from the Divine.
After I asked for her baby's name, I admonished her to rest her eyes for a few days. My mom used to tell me not to read immediately after giving birth, so my eyes would not grow weaker. Come to think of it, there is a lot of age-old sage advice my mom gave for recovering after child birth. Sadly, a lot of these have not been passed on to new mothers, making them prone to various ills and pains that could have been prevented by taking care after birth.
Here is a list for moms right after the birthing process:
1. Drink warm water or warm drinks only immediately after giving birth. Don't blow on your drink or your food or talk too much the first few days after so you don't get stomach aches. Definitely no carbonated drinks for at least 3 months.
2. Take the first glass or cup or bowl of water with both hands so the milk you have is even in both breasts.
3. Cover your head with a shawl or a hat for at least 3 months when you go out. For those in cold places, apply coconut oil on your tummy and extremities to keep the cold out. Getting rained on is a no-no.
4. Don't carry heavy stuff or do heavy house chores for at least a month. Take it one step at a time.
5. Don't read immediately after giving birth. Rest your eyes for at least 3 days, or longer.
6. Don't shower immediately. After a day these days is acceptable. After 3 or days or longer is better. Your first bath water should be a combination of boiled leaves: guava and dangla to name a few.
7. For moms who will breastfeed, the first meal prescribed is usually a variety of tinola but the chicken is sautéed only with ginger until the juices come out. Then a little alamang is added so the baby won't have allergies.
Have a prosperous new year. Make Zyanya Reiko your mantra. Always and forever grateful.
See us at #29 Sari-sari Section, Baguio City Market. We are open Monday to Saturday 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Check out our website at www.lightcatcherscrystals.com.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on December 30, 2016.
Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.