Archers preparing for CARAA 2013-A A +A
Saturday, January 12, 2013
WITH their targets failing to hit the mark during the last regional meet, Baguio archers has formally gained headway in their training camp to regain the over-all crown.
After their loss to Mt. Province and Benguet last year, Coach John Hongitan assures that the archers will be more prepared this year technically and psychologically for the upcoming 2013 CARAA to be held in Apayao late February.
Bannered by Batang Pinoy gold medalist Abelardo Villamor, he will be among the eight Baguio archers to compete that includes Jayson Mendoza, Jhoon Rhee Hongitan and Christian Lee Balageo for the male category.
“The greatest winner in life is the one who learns how to lose. Baguio archers always win and losing last year was a wakeup call. This time we hope to win,” said Hongitan regarding their lost last year.
Hongitan added they had shortcomings that resulted in their loss during the 2012 edition in Kalinga and the athletes had too many other duties to attend to that caused them to provide less time. However, this year they will commit full focus to win.
“We are now 88% prepared. The rest will be taken through this training time. So they will be at their peak of performance during the CARAA,” added Coach Hongitan.
Hongitan said the archers will shoot for an estimate of two hours in the morning and another two hours in the afternoon.
Another Batang Pinoy stand out in Kareel Meer Hongitan will banner the distaff side and will be joined by Loren Chloe Balaoing, Abegail Pineda and Daryll Jade Bolislis for the female category handled by Coach Bituin Paculan.
Hongitan added he will make sure the archers will not be over trained to avoid decreased in performance. (Karen Umangay/UPB Intern)
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on January 12, 2013.