Batang Pinoy Luzon still on in Zambales-A A +A
Wednesday, October 2, 2013
THE Philippine Olympic Committee Sports Commission (POC-PSC) will still hold the Batang Pinoy Luzon Eliminations 2013 in Iba, Zambales despite the damages brought by tropical storm Paolo.
Baguio City sports coordinator Gaudencio Gonzales said there are no plans of changing the venue for the sports event despite being ravaged by floods and landslides caused by heavy rains spawned by the southwest monsoon.
"Wala naman notice na galing sa PSC kung papalitan ba nila ang venue pero so far sa pagkaka- alam ko tuloy pa rin doon sa Zambales," said Gonzales.
"If ever siguro, nakarecover na sila by the time na mag-umpisa yung eliminations doon, wag lang magkaroon ulit ng isa pang bagyo o habagat na babaha ulit sa lugar," Gonzales added.
The city is expected to send more than 200 athletes and delegates during the event from October 15-19.
This year, Baguio City will participate in 15 events, which include archery, arnis, athletics, badminton, boxing, chess, judo, karatedo, lawn tennis, pencak silat, swimming, taekwondo, table tennis, wrestling, and wushu.
Gonzales said he is quite confident the young athletes will be able to bag the overall championship for Luzon for the third time after grabbing it in 2011 and 2012.
"Confident naman ako na kakayanin ng mga bata natin na iuwi ulit ang panalo, ang malalakas naman natin na kalaban diyan eh yung mga delegates from NCR at Pangasinan," Gonzales added.
The Visayas leg of Batang Pinoy which just happened from September 24-29 held in Maasin City was championed by Cebu City.
Meanwhile POC-PSC announced the change of venue for the qualifying national championships on November 19-23 from Zamboanga City to transfer to Bacolod City due to the raging war in the region.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on October 03, 2013.