Milo Littlelympics moved-A A +A
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
ORGANIZERS of the Milo Little Olympics 2013 reschedule the supposed slated national finals this October 25-27 in Cebu City.
After being shocked by another magnitude-5.1 earthquake last October 20, organizers postponed the competition on November 29 – December 1.
Despite earlier statements from event chief organizer Ricky Ballesteros, the committee assures the safety of all participants, organizers premeditated to discontinue earlier plans as the city was declared under the state of calamity.
Even though the technical committee assured the stability of the venues, the hosting local government unit shut down the city for holding the occasion.
According to Philvolcs, aftershocks will last for at least two to three weeks as Cebu Mayor Michael Rama together with the Department of Education has postponed classes until November 5.
Elite athletes from Baguio will represent Luzon together with winning teams from other regions after qualifying in the Luzon eliminations held in the city last month.
Bulk of the participants will come from Baguio City National High School, University of Baguio Preparatory High School, University of Baguio Laboratory Elementary School, and Baguio Central School.
BCNHS became the runaway winner after amassing 248.5 points in the secondary level, while University of Baguio Laboratory Elementary School closed out with 105 points at the close of the regional elims.
City High scored huge victories in athletics, football, men and women's artistic gymnastics, lawn tennis and badminton girls to become the runaway winner besting 29 other secondary schools from the Cordillera, Regions 1, 2, and 3.
City sports coordinator Gaudencio Gonzales said it is normal for Cebu and the organizers of Milo Little Olympics to suspend the event.
“Tama lang naman na ilipat nila ang schedule lalo pa at nilindol nga naman sila doon,” Gonzales said.
“Kung sakaling itinuloy marami rin sa mga magulang ng mga participants natin ang mag-aalala, ang mahirap eh baka i-discourage pa na pumunta para sumali,” Gonzales added.
Cebu and Bohol were devastated a week ago by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake that leaved scores of fatalities and massive damages to most of their infrastructures.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on October 23, 2013.