Loreto eyes next defense in Davao

-A A +A

Tuesday, July 1, 2014


REIGNING IBO light flyweight Rey Loreto hopes his next title defense would be in his home town.

But the 23-year-old journeyman who now calls the Highland Boxing gym his home in La Trinidad for the past four years won’t mind going out of the country to defend the crown he won in February this year in Monte Carlo, Monaco.

“Gusto ko sana sa Davao yung unang title denfense ko pero depende pa rin sa magiging desisyon ng manager ko,” said the soft spoken Loreto.

The southpaw with a record of 18 wins and 13 records including 10 knock outs won the vacant IBO 108lbs crown after scoring a sensational knock out against former WBC International light flyweight title holder Nkosinathi Joyi in the 3rd round.

But his championship journey almost came to an end last year after losing in a technical split decision against Benezer Alolod in the seventh round for the WBC International light flyweight title after suffering an accidental headbutt in the same round.

“Parang gusto ko na rin magretiro na lang kasi nga hindi rin maganda yung record ko dati pero maganda yung encouragement na binigay sa akin ng manager ko kaya tinuloy ko pa ring maging boksingero,” added Loreto who later on went to win the interim PABA light flyweight belt in Thailand wayback August last year.

With the encouragement of his manager, Brico Santig, Loreto then redefined his boxing career by winning the world title in a convincing fashion.

And with his looming title defense slated later this year, Loreto is hoping to strut his wares in front of his ‘kababayans’ in Davao del Sur.

“Wala pa naman kaming napipili pero nasa top 15 ng light flyweight ang pinagpipilian,” said Loreto.

Santig meanwhile is hoping he can also pursue the title fight in Davao and hopes a religious group who now promotes boxing in the south would be interested in bankrolling the defense.

“We’re keeping our fingers crossed na sana matuloy. Malaking bagay kasi pag sa hometown din ni Loreto gagawin yung laban,” Santig said.

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on July 02, 2014.

Sports

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Baguio's front page for August 29, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Obituary
  • Technology
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia