Baguio eyed as venue for Wa-o’s first defense-A A +A
Thursday, July 17, 2014
IF PLANS do not miscarry, newly crowned WBC International bantamweight champion Rex Wa-o is being eyed to defend his title in the Summer Capital.
Wa-o’s manager Brico Santig of the Highland Boxing Gym of La Trinidad, Benguet said they will push for his first title defense in Baguio City come September as part of the monthlong charter day celebration.
“Hopefully we can get sponsor for his title defense at maganda pag sa Baguio gaganapin kasi marami din ang gustong makita si Rex na lumban dito sa atin,” said Santig.
Santig said their camp has yet to choose a contender for his ward but he is hoping to get a top ranked Korean fighter for Wa-o’s first title defense.
“Kahit sino naman eh but where thinking of a Korean para maganda ang market kasi madami ding mga Koreans dito sa atin,” added Wa-o.
The Igorot knock out specialist Wa-o went toe-to-toe against Virden Rivera before finishing the bout in seventh round to win the vacant 115-118 greens trap at the Andres Bonifacio Gymnasium, Barangay Addition Hills, Mandaluyong City last month.
Wa-o extended his winning streak to 10 including eight knockouts that will catapult his rankings in the world boxing following the huge win.
Aside from winning the WBC strap, the 24-year-old fighting pride of Tadian, Mountain Province also held the interim WBC Asian Boxing Council super bantamweight title and the current Philippines Luzon Professional Boxing Association (LuzProBA) super bantamweight title.
Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on July 18, 2014.