Padua wins, Borres robbed | SunStar

Padua wins, Borres robbed

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Padua wins, Borres robbed

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

HIGHLAND Boxing Gym’s Dennis Padua successfully defended his Philippine Games and Amusement Board (GAB) welterweight title against Prabhjot Singh of India in Mandaluyong recently.

Padua retained his title after scoring a fourth round knock – out against the visiting Indian.

After coming off a loss in New South Wales, Australia last December, Padua’s resilience showed as he pummeled his Indian foe from the very first round until Singh could no longer take the punishment and sufeer his first defeat in nine bouts that also includes a draw.

“Masaya tayo kasi he was able to retain his crown, kelangan balik ensayo ulit para masundan agad panalo nya,” coach Joven Jorda said.

Jeronil Borres however failed to win his shot at the tile for the vacant WBC Eurasia Pacific Boxing Council flyweight at Bomnae Gymnasium in Chuncheon, South Korea in a controversial split decision against Joo Hyun Jung after a grueling 12-round bout.

The 21-year-old Borres suffered his second straight defeat following another controversial decision in September last year against Richard Claveras.

With the victory, Jung now holds three titles including the South Korean flyweight and the South Korea bantamweight title.

Highland Gym Manager Brico Langbay Santig said they were almost sure Borres won the fight as Borres knocked down the Korean boxer twice in the third round.

“Dismayado sa resulta, pero yun nga sabi ng mga kasama na ganun talaga sa boksing, hindi din naman natin mababago yun lalo na sa teritoryo ng kalaban tayo naglaro,” said coach Roy Sumile.

Published in the Sun.Star Baguio newspaper on February 16, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments