Loreto to challenge reigning WBA champ | SunStar

Loreto to challenge reigning WBA champ

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Loreto to challenge reigning WBA champ

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

BAGUIO. Rey Loreto returns to the gym as he is expected to take on WBA minimumweight champion Thammanoon Niyomtrong. (Contributed Photo)

FORMER IBO world champion Rey Loreto returns to training after getting a crack at the WBA minimumweight champion held by Thammanoon Niyomtrong.

The WBA ordered Niyomtrong to defend his title and informed Thai promoter Panya Prachakorn and Loreto’s promoter Liu Gang, that they have 30 days, or until May 16, to negotiate terms before a purse bid would be ordered.

Loreto’s manager Brico Santig of the Highland Boxing Gym based in La Trinidad, Benguet told SunStar Baguio they are currently negotiating for the venue either here in the Philippines or in China.

“Rey is currently training in Manila and we will move his training in La Trinidad once the fight is set,” said Santig.

Loreto, with a record of 23 wins, and 13 loses is riding high on a seven-fight winning streak, which dates back to 2013 when he defeated Pornsawan Porpramook for the interim PABA light flyweight title, including a knockout of Nkosinathi Joyi in 2014 to win the vacant IBO world light flyweight champion.

Niyonrong, was the first WBA minimumweight interim-champion and won the regular belt after defeating Nicaragua Byron Rojas, and has defended it twice.

The 26 years old also scored notable wins against Fapikat Twins Gym, KOji Itagaki and Rungrit Sor Visetkit all in 2016 via technical knockout.

Niyomtrong, on the other hand, boast of 15 wins, including seven knockouts, and has also held the WBC youth world minimumweight crown. (Roderick Osis)

Tags: 

Published in the SunStar Baguio newspaper on April 20, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Baguio also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments