Santiago hits ‘minefields’ in government savings

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:54 p.m.

SENATOR Miriam Defensor Santiago said on Monday the 2015 national budget suffers from two "dangerous minefields": the redefinition of savings and the retention of pork barrel funds.

In her privilege speech, Santiago said the definition of savings is "unconstitutional" since it is used without defining it.

AMLC fails to present Luy’s bank records

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:34 p.m.

DUE to the Bank Secrecy Law's provisions and insufficient time, the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) has failed to present the bank records of pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy, which was previously asked by the camp of Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada.

During Estrada's bail hearing at the Sandiganbayan fifth division on Monday, lawyer Joel Jimenez told the anti-graft court that it was only last November 21 when the AMLC did received a copy the subpoena for Luy's bank accounts, adding the agency need more time to submit the documents.

Abandoned suitcase triggers bomb scare in Makati

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 03:34 p.m.

AN ABANDONED suitcase found near a convenience store at the corner of Makati Avenue and Paseo de Roxas in Makati City created a bomb scare on Monday, police said.

However, authorities found it contained only various tools.

Government to provide additional budget for SUCs in 2015

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:59 p.m.

SENATOR Teofisto Guingona said on Monday the government will allocate additional funds for state universities and colleges (SUCs) to hire permanent educators, provide more scholarships, and modernize school facilities and curriculum.

On top of the P41.79 billion budget for SUCs, some P5 billion will be funded for filling up of faculty plantilla positions in the 114 SUCs.

San Miguel’s e-payment card to reach Visayas, Mindanao soon

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:38 p.m.

CONSUMERS in Visayas and Mindanao can soon avail themselves of San Miguel Corporation’s Sweep, a reloadable cash card that can be used to pay for goods and services by just one tap.

Autosweep Post Corporation marketing manager Kate Hassaram said in an email that they are planning to introduce the card, which was launched in Manila early this year, to key areas like Cebu, Davao, Boracay and Cagayan de Oro in 2015.

Battle for Palparan custody reaches CA

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:31 p.m.

MOTHERS of missing college students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño recently asked the Court of Appeals (CA) to detain retired Major General Jovito Palparan in an ordinary jail.

In a petition, Erlinda Cadapan and Concepcion Empeño questioned the Malolos court's orders transferring Palparan's custody from the Bulacan Provincial Jail to the Philippine Army Custodial Center (PACC) in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City and denying the motion to have him committed in an ordinary civilian jail.

Philippine court convicts 9 Chinese of poaching

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 01:34 p.m.

MANILA — A Philippine court has convicted nine Chinese fishermen of poaching and taking hundreds of endangered giant sea turtles from a disputed shoal in the South China Sea and fined each nearly $103,000 but imposed no jail term.

The fishermen were arrested in May at Half Moon Shoal and their boat and catch of 555 endangered sea turtles were seized. The arrests sparked another spat between the Asian neighbors in the increasingly volatile South China Sea.

Death toll in North Cotabato blast rises to 3

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 10:45 a.m.

KIDAPAWAN — The death toll from a bomb blast in a billiard hall near a crowded town carnival in North Cotabato has risen to three, officials said Monday.

The death toll rose overnight after one of the wounded died in hospital, Captain Jo-ann Petinglay, an army spokeswoman, said Monday. Another 22 people were wounded in the blast.

Workers finish recovering MH17 wreckage in Ukraine

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 01:00 a.m.

PELAHIIVKA, Ukraine -- Workers have finished recovering wreckage from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster, more than four months after the passenger jet was shot down over rebel-held eastern Ukraine.

Under the supervision of Dutch investigators and European security officials, the recovered fragments were loaded onto a train in the village of Pelahiivka and shipped to the Ukrainian government-held city of Kharkiv on Sunday.

2 dead, 23 hurt in North Cotabato blast

Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 10:29 p.m.

KIDAPAWAN CITY (Updated) -- A bomb exploded late Sunday in a billiard hall near a crowded town carnival in North Cotabato, killing two people and wounding 23 others, officials said.

Mayor Joselito Pinol said two men left the bomb, which was apparently concealed in a bag, at the billiard hall in his town of M'lang in North Corabato province.

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sinulog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary