Clippers say no deal to proposed trade for Paul

-A A +A

Tuesday, December 13, 2011


LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Clippers rejected a proposed trade for All-Star guard Chris Paul on Monday, then picked up another All-Star in Chauncey Billups.

Clippers general manager Neil Olshey said the team baulked at a proposed trade for Paul, saying "the cost was just too high."

"Everything's over until it's reborn again," Olshey said. "New Orleans made a fair offer on their end. We didn't think that it was something that we wanted to pursue at this point."

Olshey declined to identify whom the Clippers had offered in exchange for Paul but their package reportedly included center Chris Kaman, reserve guard Eric Bledsoe, forward Al-Farouq Aminu and their No. 1 pick in the 2012 NBA draft. Reports suggested the Hornets also wanted guard Eric Gordon included.

"There wasn't one piece or another piece that killed this deal," Olshey said. "The aggregate compensation that we were going to have to convey to them was just too much and it was going to hamstring our franchise in the long term."

It's the second time in five days that a deal moving Paul to Los Angeles fell apart. Last week, NBA Commissioner David Stern nixed a three-team trade by the league-owned Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets that would have sent Paul to the Lakers.

"This is a superstar player that is obviously in a delicate situation with his current franchise," Olshey said. "We just felt right now we're just not going to be able to meet where we're equally satisfied with the outcome."

Point guard Billups, 35, was waived by the New York Knicks last weekend.

Billups averaged 16.8 points, 5.4 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 72 games with Denver and the Knicks last season. He was traded to New York in February. He helped lead Detroit to the 2004 championship and was the MVP of the NBA finals.

Olshey and coach Vinny Del Negro met with Blake Griffin and the rest of the team before practice Monday to tell them about the Hornets' proposal and the $42.7 million, four-year offer sheet from the Golden State Warriors for DeAndre Jordan, a restricted free agent.

Later in the day, the Clippers re-signed Jordan and matched the Warriors' offer sheet. The 23-year-old center appeared in a career-high 80 games last season, averaging 7.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.78 blocks while making 66 starts.

Olshey said the team would turn its attention to discussions involving signing Gordon to a contract extension.

The Clippers signed Caron Butler to a $24 million, three-year deal Friday, giving them a boost at small forward. (AP)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • ePaper
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Festivals
  • Pacman blog
  • Calamity Report
  • Sinulog