Energy chief rejects transfer of Subic coal plant-A A +A
Monday, June 25, 2012
SUBIC BAY Freeport – Energy Secretary Jose Almendras has rejected the suggestion of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) to relocate the proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant.
The SBMA sent a letter to President Benigno Aquino III last month requesting the transfer of the project at the site of the nuclear plant in Bataan.
Almendras said that relocating the plant would push back the schedule of operation of the Redondo Peninsula Energy Inc. scheduled in 2015 that could jeopardize the power situation in Luzon.
He also said the site in Bataan has no port in its design which is crucial in running a coal plant.
“The problem with coal, you need to have an area where you can unload the coal in huge quantities because a 600-MW coal-fired power plant will consume a lot. The problem with BNPP (Bataan Nuclear Power Plant) is the site is not the best site for a coal-fired power plant because it does not have logistical capability to handle the fuel itself,” he was quoted in a report.
Residents, local leaders, and non-government organizations have vocally expressed their opposition to the coal project, citing negative health impact of the project as the main reason. (Anthony Bayarong/Sunnex)