Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 09:55 p.m.
WASHINGTON -- The White House is pushing to extend jobless benefits to long-term unemployed Americans.
The argument is that if benefits don't get renewed by the end of the month, more than a million people will lose the assistance -- which will slow economic growth.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 07:31 p.m.
SANAA, Yemen -- A suicide bomber detonated his explosives-laden car Thursday at Yemen's Defense Ministry, killing 18 soldiers and wounding at least 40 in an attack underlining the persistent threat to the stability and security of the impoverished Arab nation, military and hospital officials said.
Officials said as many as 12 gunmen also were killed in a firefight between troops and a carload of attackers who arrived minutes after the early morning blast, apparently in a bid to take over the complex in downtown Sanaa, Yemen's capital.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 07:28 p.m.
CANASTOTA, New York -- "The Golden Boy" is golden again.
Oscar De La Hoya, who won Olympic gold and became a champion in six weight divisions in winning 10 world titles, has been selected for induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 06:40 p.m.
MANILA -- Myanmar's president called Thursday for more investment and development assistance from the Philippines, saying his country needs help to catch up with the rest of Southeast Asia after emerging from nearly two decades of economic sanctions.
President Thein Sein's visit represents a milestone in relations with the Philippines, one of the harshest critics of Myanmar's former ruling junta. Thein Sein's elected government took office in 2011, ending a half-century of military rule.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 05:43 p.m.
MANILA -- A “Million People March” rally against the pork barrel system is set anew on Friday, December 6, at the Ombudsman Building, Agham Road, Diliman, Quezon City. The event will mark the 100th day of Janet Napoles's surrender last August.
In their official Facebook page, the Million People March to Scrap Pork Barrel invited the public to join the march-rally, which will start with a noise barrage, followed by a march toward Quezon Memorial Circle where the organizers will hold a program.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 04:38 p.m.
SEVERAL organizations on Thursday called on the public to remain vigilant and monitor the aid from all over the world for the restoration and rehabilitation of typhoon-hit areas in Eastern Visayas.
In a discussion called “Watching where the Aid Goes," several media groups, netizens and disaster risk reduction advocates initiated actions to monitor the funds and goods donated for the victims of the typhoon.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 04:41 p.m.
MANILA -- Veteran Jordanian TV journalist Baker Atyani has identified the leader of an al-Qaeda-linked terrorist group that held him for a year and a half in southern Philippines after luring him with a promise of an interview.
Atyani said Abu Sayyaf commander Jul Asman Sawadjaan plotted his kidnapping in June last year with the help of his fighters and civilians in Sulu province.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 03:44 p.m.
MANILA -- Amid the legal woe over Sarangani Representative Manny Pacquiao's supposed unpaid taxes, one of the boxing icon's colleagues in Congress has proposed a law granting a lifetime tax exemption on Pacquiao.
The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) had earlier issued a warrant of garnishment on Pacquiao's bank accounts for the boxer's alleged failure to pay taxes worth P2.2 billion in 2008 and 2009.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 03:31 p.m.
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III has given his go signal to release P1.06 billion for the rehabilitation and recovery of infrastructure in areas damaged by Typhoon Pablo nationwide, the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) said Thursday.
The amount, which will be released to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), will be used for the reconstruction and repair of several bridges in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental under the Task Force Pablo Rehabilitation Plan.
Thursday, December 5, 2013 - 03:24 p.m.
MURDER charges were filed against 16 police officers implicated in the death of two members of the notorious Ozamis robbery hold-up gang on July 15, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Thursday.
The policemen facing complaints before the San Pedro, Laguna Prosecutor’s Office were Police Superintendent Danilo Mendoza, Senior Inspector Fernando Cardona, Senior Inspector Manuel Magat, Inspector Efren Oco, SPO1 Jason Semacas, SPO1 Joseph Ortega, SPO1 Genaro de Gala, PO3 Marvin Mejia and PO3 Ramil Gonzales.