No Filipino casualty in Iran quake-A A +A
Sunday, August 12, 2012
MANILA -- The government has yet to receive a report on Filipinos who got killed or injured by the twin earthquakes that struck oil-rich Iran on Saturday night, an official of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
“So far, there is no report of Filipino casualty from the earthquake. Our embassy in Tehran is monitoring developments there and checking with government agencies on the situation of Filipinos in Iran,” DFA spokesperson Raul Hernandez told Sun.Star.
Some 1,000 Filipinos either work or live in Iran, government figures show.
Wire news agencies like Reuters said the incident left at least 250 people dead and injured around 1,800 in northwest Iran. The quakes were followed by some 40 aftershocks.
According to the US Geological Survey, the first quake at magnitude 6.4 was traced 60 kilometers northeast of the city of Tabriz, while the second quake, which measured magnitude 6.3, struck 49 kilometers also northeast of Tabriz.
The quakes had a shallow depth of some 10 kilometers, making way for heavy damage on villages. In 2003, a magnitude-6.6 tremor killed over 25,000 individuals in the southeastern city of Bam. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)