Sandigan junks graft charges vs Singson

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 07:56 p.m.

THE anti-graft court dismissed Wednesday the graft charges against former Ilocos Sur governor Luis "Chavit" Singson in connection with the alleged questionable use of more than P20-million in public funds in 2001.

In the decision signed by Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice and third division chairperson Amparo Cabotaje Tang, and Justices Samuel Martires and Alex Quiros, the court granted Singson's motion to quash due to the slow action by the Office of the Ombudsman.

Pacquiao scores vs BIR in tax assessment case

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 07:35 p.m.

MANILA -- Boxing great Manny Pacquiao and his wife Jinkee will not be required, for now, to pay multi-billion peso bond in relation to their tax assessment case.

Palace denies pressuring JBC to appoint SolGen

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 06:24 p.m.

MALACANANG denied exerting undue pressure to the Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) and to the Supreme Court (SC) to include Solicitor General Francis Jardaleza in the list of nominees for associate justice of the high court.

In a regular press briefing Wednesday, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said that if the SC decided not to include Jardaleza in the shortlist, President Benigno Aquino III could have appointed another candidate to replace former Associate Justice Roberto Abad, who retired on May 22.

Lawmaker asks SC to remove 3 justices in HRET

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 06:13 p.m.

MARINDUQUE Representative Regina Reyes asked the Supreme Court (SC) on Wednesday to disqualify three of its own from sitting as members of the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal (HRET), where she is facing a string of disqualification cases.

Reyes was referring to Associate Justices Lucas Bersamin, Diosdado Peralta and Presbitero Velasco, the head of the tribunal whose son, former Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Jay Velasco, benefited from last year's SC ruling that disqualified her as a candidate in the May 2013 polls for being an American citizen.

Taguig mayor faces rap for alleged ‘ghost employees’

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 06:00 p.m.

(UPDATED) A PLUNDER complaint has been filed Wednesday against Taguig City Mayor Maria Laarni "Lani" Cayetano for allegedly maintaining over 3,000 ghost employees in 2012.

In a complaint filed before the Office of the Ombudsman, lawyers from the Philippine Association for the Advocacy of Civil Liberties (PAACL) led by Rod Vera said Cayetano allegedly spent P314.25 million in public funds in 2012 to hire casual employees for three different programs.

39 new police generals take oath

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 05:07 p.m.

PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III inducted Wednesday into office 39 newly promoted Police Generals in a ceremony held at the Rizal Hall of Malacañang Palace.

Promoted to the equivalent military rank of lieutenant general were Police Deputy Directors General Leonardo Espina and Marcelo Garbo, Jr.

COA denies clearing alleged overpriced Makati carpark building

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 04:20 p.m.

THE Commission on Audit (COA) will reinvestigate the controversies surrounding the 11-storey Makati City Hall Parking Building and the 22-storey Makati City Hall building, which is now the subject of a plunder case filed against Vice President Jejomar Binay.

This was according to COA Commissioner Grace Pulido-Tan during a hearing conducted Wednesday by the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.

55 Chinese nationals detained for lack of working permits

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 03:19 p.m.

BUREAU of Immigration (BI) agents arrested on Tuesday 55 Chinese nationals believed to have been working without proper permits.

The Chinese nationals, who were nabbed in raids in Manila, Quezon City and Malabon through a tip by the BI's anonymous source, are allegedly working in construction sites and retail establishments illegally.

Top government lawyer named SC justice

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 01:29 p.m.

MANILA (Updated) -- After three tries and a legal battle against the screening body that excluded him from the list of final nominees, Solicitor General Francis Jardeleza has finally realized his dream to become a member of the Supreme Court (SC).

No stay order on Napoles’ trial at Sandiganbayan

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 01:20 p.m.

MANILA -- Alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles will remain on trial for plunder and graft at the Sandiganbayan.

In its en banc session on Tuesday, the Supreme Court (SC) decided to require the Sandiganbayan and the Office of the Ombudsman to comment on Napoles' petitions for certiorari within 10 days.

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Sinulog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Habemus Papam
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Pacman blog