Heavy rains flood metro streets, suspend classes-A A +A
Saturday, September 15, 2012
MANILA (2nd Update, 12:37 p.m.) -- Classes in Metro Manila have been suspended Saturday due to heavy rains and flooding.
The following schools have announced suspension of classes:
* De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde
* De La Salle University
* Emilio Aguinaldo College (Manila campus)
* Eulogio "Amang" Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology (EARIST)
* Far Eastern University (Manila and Makati campuses)
* University of the East (Manila and Caloocan campuses except College of Law and Graduate School)
* University of Sto. Tomas
* Colegio de San Juan de Letran
* Polytechnic University of the Philippines
* Miriam College
* St. Scholastica’s College Manila
* San Beda College
* San Sebastian College of Law
* National University
* Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila
As of 10:30 a.m., the state weather bureau terminated its yellow rainfall advisory over Metro Manila.
"Light to moderate rainfall was observed over Metro Manila for the past two hours. With this development, Yellow Rainfall Advisory is now terminated. However, occasional moderate to heavy rains over some portions of Metro Manila (are) still expected," the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said in its Twitter account.
In its 5 a.m. bulletin, Pagasa said typhoon "Karen" was spotted 690 kilometers east of Itbayat, Batanes, with maximum sustained winds of 185 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center and gustiness of up to 220 kph.
Several stations of the Light Rail Transit (LRT) 1 are also flooded, LRT Authority spokesperson Hernando Cabrera said on Twitter.
"As of 9:30 a.m. LRT1 station street level flooded: R. Papa - almost knee deep. Central, UN Ave, P. Gil, A. Santos - ankle deep," he posted.(Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)