Palace raises concern over Alabang mall shooting-A A +A
Saturday, September 15, 2012
MANILA -- Malacañang has expressed alarm over the robbery-shootout in a Muntinlupa City mall that killed one person and injured seven others on Friday.
Speaking over government-run dzRB radio, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the recent shootout is a "point of concern" in the metropolis' peace and order.
Authorities said at least one suspected robber was killed while seven people were injured in the incident in Alabang Town Center on Friday morning.
A shootout with security guards of the establishment injured at least two people while five others were injured in a subsequent bomb explosion at a nearby bank.
The suspects robbed the armored van of a money changer establishment and took a duffle bag that contains a still undetermined value.
Valte assured that new Metro Manila police chief Leonardo Espina promised a "comprehensive approach" to address such criminal incidents that happen even in broad daylight.
Espina, upon assumption to his post last week, vowed for a stronger law enforcement and police presence after the reported 57 percent increase in crime rate in the metropolis during the first half of the year.
Meanwhile, Muntinlupa police chief Senior Superintendent Ramilo Bausa has been relieved from his position after the recent robbery-shootout.
Police Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr., spokesman of the Philippine National Police, said Bausa will be investigated with his possible shortcomings that have caused the recent crime.
Police Senior Superintendent Conrad Capa, Southern Police District (SPD) chief of staff, was appointed officer-in-charge of the Muntinlupa City police.
The SPD has also created a task force that will investigate the recent robbery-shootout. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani/Sunnex)