Don't patronize anti-Islam propaganda film: police-A A +A
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
MANILA -- An official of the Philippine National Police (PNP) has urged the public not to support the viral film that has drawn violent protests abroad for its seemingly anti-Islamic content.
Police Superintendent Jonathan Cabal, chief operations officer of the PNP public information office, made such call to the public after admitting that he has seen the video and expressing abhorrence towards its content.
"I find it disgusting actually, in my own opinion. And I enjoined the public not to patronize this kind of videos [as] it offends the sensibilities of our Muslim brothers," Cabal said in a live interview on state-run People's Television Network on Monday evening.
Cabal also assured that the PNP will take the necessary actions if the film reaches the pirated DVD market in the country.
"We will be making arrests once these videos go out to the streets. We will take all kinds of measures that will prevent any untoward incident which will be caused by this video," said Cabal.
The film "Innocence of Muslims," which was uploaded on video-sharing website YouTube, has drawn series of violent protests in the Middle East and North Africa as its content was considered blasphemous by many Muslims.
Earlier this week, Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr., PNP spokesman, said the film has caused no imminent threat in the country.
Cabal reiterated Cerbo's statement that security measures in the country have been intensified to prevent the escalation of violence that may be caused by those offended by the film.
"Definitely we have stepped up police visibility and in coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines, we have a joint task force and we are securing not only the US Embassy but all other embassies as well," said Cabal.
He added that they are in constant communication with the Filipino Muslim community, which he believes will not cause tension due to the film.
"We [in the PNP] believe that our Muslim brothers are enlightened Muslims," said Cabal.
The PNP official also assured that all American tourists are safe in the country.
"We are not letting our guards down. We will not give any cause for alarm," Cabal said. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani/Sunnex)