Quezon-Araneta Avenue underpass opens today-A A +A
Friday, September 28, 2012
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino on Friday led the inauguration of the Quezon-Araneta Avenue underpass that is expected to ease traffic in busy streets and major thoroughfares in Quezon City.
In his speech, the President lauded the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for completing the underpass with budget savings and three months ahead of its scheduled deadline.
“Why wouldn’t you be impressed, right? P694-(million) is the budget and it became P430-(million), finished ahead of schedule on December 10 (2012). It was hundred days in advance,” he said.
The President said the P16)-million savings of the budget will be allocated for other projects in Quezon City.
“Congratulations to our Secretary of Public Works and Highways who supervised this project and to the construction company for fulfilling their promise to finish the project ahead of time,” he added.
The Chief Executive likewise acknowledged the cooperation and support of Congress led by House Speaker Feliciano Belmonte for the project completion.
“We will not end here. We still have three years and nine months to improve Quezon City especially since I will be going back here. This is for all of us to ease traffic situation and accelerate trade to further improve the lives of our people,” he ended.
Aside from Belmonte and Singson, also present in the event were Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, Quezon City Vice Mayor Joy Belmonte and some councilors of the city.
The C-3-Quezon Avenue Interchange Project, which started on June 20 last year, covers 440 lineal meters and 330 lineal meters in both directions.
It aims to decongest the volume of traffic in the area and ensure the smooth flow of vehicles coming from and going to EDSA, Aurora Boulevard, and España Boulevard. (Jill Beltran/Sunnex)