52 Senate aspirants set to be disqualified-A A +A
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
MANILA -- Fifty-two individuals who had filed their certificates of candidacy (COCs) are set to be disqualified while 32 will be allowed to run in the 2013 senatorial elections.
Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes said the commission is set to add five more names to the first 27 COCs given due course while the rest will already be disqualified.
The poll chair said the names of those who qualified will be released Monday through a resolution.
Pressed to give clues, he said three of the five candidates belong to a political party while two are independent.
To recall, the Comelec had already agreed to give due course to the COCs for the position of senator to 27 aspirants.
Given due course were Juan Edgardo Angara (Laban); Paolo Benigno Aquino IV, Maria Ana Consuelo Madrigal, and Ramon Magsaysay Jr. (Liberal Party); Alan Peter Cayetano, Antonio Trillanes IV, and Cynthia Villar (Nacionalista Party); Ana Theresia Hontiveros (Akbayan); and Aquilino Martin Pimentel III (PDP-Laban) from the Liberal Party (Liberal Party) coalition.
As for UNA, allowed were Maria Lourdes Nancy Binay, Margarita Cojuangco, Joseph Victor Ejercito, Richard Gordon, Gregorio Honasan, Ernesto Maceda, Maria Milagros Esperanza Magsaysay, and Juan Miguel Zubiri; and Juan Ponce Enrile Jr. (Nationalist Peoples Coalition).
The three common candidates of the two primary line-ups, namely Lorna Legarda (Nationalist Peoples Coalition); and independents Francis Joseph Escudero, and Mary Grace Llamanzares were also allowed to run.
The Comelec had earlier ruled to allow Ang Kapatiran's John Carlos De Los Reyes, Marwil Llasos, and Rizalito David; Makabayan's Teodoro Casiño; and independents Edward Hagedorn, and Ramon Montaño. (HDT/Sunnex)