'Pablo' strands 1,600 passengers-A A +A
Monday, December 3, 2012
MANILA (Updated 4:11 p.m.) -- At least 1,685 passengers were stranded in various ports in the country on Monday due to the approaching Typhoon "Pablo" (international name: Bopha), the Philippine Coast Guard said.
In a situation report, the PCG said the areas with stranded passengers are Manila North Harbor, Manila South Harbor, Cebu, Tagbilaran, Maasin, and Ormoc.
Current weather in Cebu City
At least 764 or almost half of the stranded passengers are coming from the Manila South Harbor.
Numerous marine vehicles are also stranded including 54 rolling cargoes, 19 vessels, and 10 motor bancas, according to the PCG.
In Cebu, dyLA reported that 13 seagoing vessels, mostly fastcrafts, were stranded in Cebu City ports. The vessels were bound for Getafe, Tubigon and Tagbilaran City in Bohol, Ormoc City, Danao City and Comotes Island.
The report said 20 passengers were stranded in a port Danao City in northern Cebu, while 358 passengers were stranded in the nearby port in Tagbilaran City.
The PCG earlier went into heightened alert in preparation for Typhoon Pablo, advising operators of small vessels, motor bancas and fishing boats to avoid sailing the southeastern and eastern section of the country where sea condition is rough.
Boat operators with open deck and fishermen in the areas not directly affected by the typhoon were also urged to be prepared and to be on watch in sailing.
The PCG also said earlier that all shipping vessels are not permitted to travel once a public storm warning signal is already hoisted by the weather bureau in the areas to be affected by the typhoon.
The state weather bureau has warned the public in areas under storm warning signal numbers three and two against big waves or storm surges generated by Pablo.
At 11 a.m. Monday, Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) hoisted public storm warning signal number three in Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao Dinagat, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, and Davao Oriental.
Public storm signal number two was declared in Southern Leyte, Bohol, Camiguin, Misamis Oriental, Bukidnon, Davao del Norte, and Compostela Valley.
Areas under storm signal number one are Cuyo Island, Biliran, Leyte, Eastern Samar, Western Samar, Aklan, Capiz, Iloilo, Guimaras, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, Cebu, Siquijor, Zamboanga provinces, Lanao provinces, Davao del Sur, North Cotabato, and Maguindanao.
As of 3 p.m., Pablo was spotted based on satellite and surface data at 420 kilometers southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur. It is projected to move west northwest at 24 kilometers per hour. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani/Sunnex)