NDRRMC: New Year revelry injuries now over 1,000-A A +A
Thursday, January 3, 2013
FOLLOWING the death of a seven-year-old child who was hit by a stray bullet, the number of New Year revelry-related injuries has soared to 1,130, the state disaster agency reported Thursday.
As of 6 a.m. Thursday, a total of 390 firework-related injuries were recorded in 21 selected hospitals in Metro Manila alone, while 740 firecracker-related injuries were accounted for in various regions, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
The Ilocos region has the second largest number of injuries with 273, followed by Central Luzon with 133 and Calabarzon with 91.
In contrast, the Department of Health said it only recorded 789 firework-related injuries covering the period December 21 to 6 a.m. of January 3.
Of the injuries, 765 were due to firecrackers/fireworks, 22 from stray bullets, and two cases of firecracker ingestions. The figure is 211 cases or 21 percent lower than in the same period last year, which was at 1,000.
The Health department said 643 cases or 84 percent had blast/burn injuries not needing amputation; 109 (14 percent) had eye injuries; and 29 (4 percent) sustained blast/burn injuries requiring amputation.
Piccolo remains to be the most injurious firecracker at 212 (28 percent); followed by unknown firecrackers at 114 (15 percent); kwitis at 106 (14 percent); five-star at 46 (6 percent); and pla-pla and fountain with 34 each (4 percent).
At least 33 people were injured by stray bullets in six regions, including Metro Manila, according to the NDRRMC.
The Philippine National Police earlier said the initial number of stray bullet victims was 40.
On Wednesday afternoon, Stephanie Nicole Ella of San Lorenzo, Malaria, Caloocan City, died after being hit by a stray bullet at the top of her head during the New Year revelries. She had been in a deep comatose at the East Avenue Medical Center in Quezon City.
Earlier reported dead was four-year-old Ranjelo Nimer, who was killed due to indiscriminate firing on New Year's eve.
Nimer was hit when suspect Emmanuel Janabon, who has been arrested, fired a homemade shotgun or "sumpak" around 9 p.m. of December 31 in Mandaluyong City.
The victim was rushed to Mandaluyong Medical Center but was declared dead on arrival.
Meanwhile, Vice President Jejomar Binay called for a stricter enforcement of gun laws in the wake of Ella's death.
“The law must be enforced to the letter. We have enough laws to penalize but the problem has always been in the enforcement of the laws, especially those on loose firearms. That is the challenge for the PNP (Philippine National Police) and other law enforcement agencies,” Binay said.
The Vice President said the PNP should exert all efforts to bring those responsible to justice.
“This incident should not be allowed to become just another statistic,” he said, echoing President Benigno Aquino III’s sentiment that Ella’s death was senseless. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani/Virgil Lopez/HDT/Sunnex)