Shorter Black Nazarene procession eyed-A A +A
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
AN OFFICIAL of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene (Quiapo Church) is hoping that the procession of the black image of Jesus Christ on Wednesday will not take up almost a day.
Quiapo Church Rector Msgr. Jose Clemente Ignacio said they are hoping that things will go smoothly this time as they attempt to recover from the busted tires disaster last year, resulting in a record 22-hour walk.
“The January 9 procession usually lasts only for about 10 to 12 hours,” said Ignacio.
The route of the procession will be from Quirino Grandstand right to Katigbak Drive through Padre Burgos St., left to Taft Avenue through McArthur Bridge, right to Palanca St. through under Quezon Bridge, left to Quezon Blvd., right to Arlegui St., right to Fraternal St., right to Vergara St., left to Duque de Alba St., left to Castillejos St., left to Farnecio St., right to Arlegui St., left to Nepomuceno St., left to Aguila St., right to Carcer St., right to Hidalgo St. through Plaza del Carmen, left to Bilibid Viejo through Puyat St., left to Guzman St., right to Hidalgo St., left to Barbosa St., right to Globo de Oro St. through under Quezon Bridge, right to Palanca St., right to Villalobos St. through Plaza Miranda and ingress to Quiapo Church.
Prior to the procession, a High Mass is set to be officiated by Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle.
The traditional procession is set to begin around 7 a.m.
Due to the procession, the Philippine National Police (PNP) through its National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) advised the public to expect heavy traffic.
Affected areas will be the stretch of Roxas Blvd./Bonifacio Drive from Anda Circle to T.M. Kalaw north and southbound lane, southbound of Quezon Blvd. from Recto to Palanca (subway-Isetan Recto), stretch of Lerma to P. Campa to Quezon Blvd., Taft Ave./Finance (Westbound lane), Lagusnilad/P. Burgos (Westbound lane), P. Burgos/Taft Avenue (Freedom Triangle-Northbound lane), Villegas/N.A Lopez, and 25th Street/Bonifacio Drive (southbound).
Closed to traffic starting at 4 a.m. Wednesday are the southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. (Quiapo), from Andalucia/Fugoso to Plaza Miranda and Espana/P. Campa/Lerma for public utility vehicles, and at 5 a.m. for all types of vehicles.
Classes along the procession route will be suspended as Malacanang asked devotees not to overcrowd the Quezon and McArthur bridges because some of their parts "are found to have corroded".
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson had already coordinated with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the City Government of Manila, and the Archdiocese of Manila regarding the structural integrity of the bridges based on the technical inspection done by the Bureau of Design.
"Those joining the procession shall use only one lane of the McArthur bridge while the other half can still be utilized for light vehicle traffic,” Singson said.
The DPWH official asked the public to exercise extreme caution on the use of the two bridges to avoid untoward incidents.
Ignacio said they expect some six to eight million devotees attending the world-renowned religious event in the country.
On Tuesday afternoon, authorities opened the religious celebration with the “pahalik” of the image at the Quirino Grandstand.
This came after the image was brought from the Quiapo Church to the Quirino Grandstand earlier in the day.
A mass, healing service, and an overnight vigil were also held successively at the venue.
Meanwhile, at the Quiapo Church, hourly masses shall be held as early as 3 a.m. until noon and from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday. (HDT/Jill Beltran/Sunnex)