Disqualified party-list groups now included in ballots-A A +A
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
DISQUALIFIED party-list organizations are now set to be included in the configuration of the official ballots and the precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines scheduled to begin on Friday.
This developed after Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes said they have no choice but to include these groups since the Supreme Court (SC) has yet to rule on the appeals of disqualified party-lists.
So far, the High Court has already issued status quo ante orders (SQAs) to the disqualification of 52 party-list groups, including 39 previously registered party-list groups and 13 new applicants.
The SQAs has already resulted in the inclusion of the 39 groups in the raffle, along with the 84 groups already accredited by the Comelec, in the recently concluded raffle for placing in the ballots.
The Comelec had been hoping that the SC will already rule on the petitions in order to ascertain which groups are allowed to join the May 13 elections.
But last Tuesday, the SC ordered the Comelec to comment on the petitions filed by party-list groups questioning their disqualifications by the poll body within five days.
“We will just push through (with the configuration of official ballots and PCOS machines). We cannot wait any longer,” said Brillantes.
Aside from the list of candidates, the commission also configures the precinct numbers and number of registered voters. (HDT/Sunnex)