DOJ yet to identify Nicole’s killer-A A +A
Monday, January 14, 2013
MANILA -- Justice Secretary Leila de Lima declined to name the suspect behind the killing of seven-year-old Stephanie Nicole Ella, who was hit by a stray bullet in the head on New Year’s Eve.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, de Lima said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) will only identify the suspect if they will be able to get the firearm used in the alleged shooting that took place near Ella’s home in Caloocan City.
"Sigurado kami na nagpaputok siya ng baril and sigurado rin kami na yung distance niya kay Nicole ay within the effective range of the fatal shot that killed Nicole. Mayroon pang circumstance na magpapatunay na we are probably looking at the right suspect pero wala pa sa amin yung baril," she said.
Ella was laid to rest on Saturday as the Caloocan City Prosecutor's Office has set a hearing on Friday against the four suspects linked to the crime.
They were Army reservist Juan Agus, Feliciano Cercano, Eddie Magtubo and Arcadio Gulmatico Jr., who had already underwent preliminary investigation.
“Natukoy na siya kung sino siya (killer) based on the eye witness (account) but we need to connect him to the firearm and the slug para airtight ang kaso," said de Lima.
President Benigno Aquino has already put up a P2-million reward for any information that would lead to the arrest of the suspect. Caloocan Mayor Enrico Echiverri and Valenzuela City Mayor Sherwin Gatchalian also offered P400,000 for the same purpose. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)