Fact-finding report on Quezon ‘shootout’ now with NBI-A A +A
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
MANILA (Updated) -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) has turned over to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) the fact-finding report on the Atimonan shooting last week that killed 13 people, including law enforcers.
Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II said Tuesday that along with the report, all physical evidence gathered by the Scene of the Crime Operatives, PNP Crime Laboratory and police personnel will also be turned over to the NBI.
However, Roxas noted that the report lacks the statement of Superintendent Hansel Marantan, who refused to go under investigation of the PNP fact-finding committee.
Roxas asked Marantan to cooperate in the investigation process of either the PNP or NBI.
NBI Director Nonnatus Rojas said "it would be very important and necessary" for them to take the statement of Marantan, who was wounded in the shootout and relieved last week along with an intelligence unit of about 15 men under him for supposed lapses in police checkpoint procedures.
Rojas also assured of a swift but careful probe into the deadly incident.
"The men and women of NBI ay talagang nagmamadali dito because we know the necessity na kailangang matapos agad at maglabas na ng resulta ngunit kasabay nito ay ang pag-iingat din dahil ang resulta dapat base talaga sa mga ebidensiya," said Rojas.
Copies of the report, which is about two inches in thickness, were produced and provided to the NBI, to President Benigno Aquino III, and to the Commission on Human Rights, according to Roxas.
He said the NBI, the sole agency appointed by Aquino to probe the incident, will be the one to release the results of the entire investigation, including those from the fact-finding report, which were undisclosed to the public.
"Hindi lang namin gusto na ma-jeopardize ang imbestigasyon ng NBI... Mas mabuti na ang NBI would give the updates kung ano na 'yung narating nila kaysa sa there will be updates or premature revelations na hindi makakatulong," said Roxas.
The alleged shootout happened when gunmen riding in three black SUVs allegedly opened fire on more than 50 Army and police troopers who flagged down the vehicles last January 7 in Atimonan, Quezon province.
Eleven suspects died on the spot, including a police colonel who was a regional commander and two other officers, police spokesman Erwin Obal said earlier.
President Aquino, however, saw “inconsistencies” in the incident that he tasked PNP Chief Director General Alan Purisima and Secretary Roxas to look deeper into the case.
Citing pictures of the crime scene published in two national broadsheets, Aquino said there was inconsistency that the checkpoint, where the shootout occurred, was “clearly established." (Sunnex)