Comelec: More bets prefer limited airtime for TV, radio ads-A A +A
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
MANILA -- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said more candidates running in the May 13 polls agree with its new rules on airtime campaigning.
Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. said the feedbacks received by the commission indicate that a clear majority of candidates agree with the Comelec in making such a decision since it would employ "fair play."
"From our own feedback from candidates who are running now, I think a great majority of them prefer the aggregate total. Kasi mas tipid sila and also they can't afford naman to concentrate too much on TV advertising lang," said Brillantes.
He said such rules are also practical and not ridiculous as opined by Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano, who opposes Comelec's move.
"It's a matter of budgeting it. If you're a candidate, kailangan timing lang kung kailan ka magpapalabas. Hindi mo aabusuhin yun na labas ka ng labas," said Brillantes.
According to Comelec Resolution 9615, the Comelec has decided to count the number of minutes allowable to each candidate in total and not per television or radio station just like in the past.
For each national candidate, the commission said their advertisements must not be more than a combined total of 120 minutes for TV and 180 minutes for radio.
As for local bets, TV advertisements must not be more than a collective total of 60 minutes and 90 minutes for radio.
Cayetano had already said that he plans to question before the Supreme Court (SC) the Comelec's rules on airtime campaigning.
The poll chief responded by saying that said the commission is standing by with its promulgated rules.
Violating the airtime limit, Brillantes stressed, would entail an election offense as provided by Republic Act 9006 or the Fair Election Act.
The campaign period is set to begin on February 12 for national candidates and March 29 for local candidates. (HDT/Sunnex)