7 dead, 3 missing in wake of Mindanao floods-A A +A
Thursday, January 24, 2013
MANILA -- The tail-end of a cold front affecting Mindanao has weakened but left at least seven people dead and three others missing as incessant rains triggered floods in several areas, the state disaster agency said.
The new reported fatality was identified as John Michael Unson, 21, resident of El Salvador City, Misamis Oriental, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Unson was previously reported as missing. He died due to drowning and his body was found on January 22.
Still missing are Ramon Ampong, 63 of Brgy. Sumlon, Asuncion and Renante Finca and Gary Galicia residents of Mansalay Oriental Mindoro.
Six other people were also injured due to the effects of the tail-end of the cold front.
The said weather system has brought incessant rains and triggered floods in several Mindanao areas, affecting 59,304 families or 245,487 people in nine provinces in the Davao, Socsksargen, and Caraga regions. Some 65,611 people are inside evacuation centers.
On January 20, five people were injured when heavy rains triggered a landslide in Sitio Tonggo, Barangay Namut, Tudela, Misamis Oriental, the NDRRMC said.
Floods damaged 274 hectares of rice fields in Barangays Lower and Central Malamonte, Matalam, Cotabato province on January 21, affecting a total of 224 farmers.
The effects of the tail-end of the cold front have damaged a total of 276 houses in the affected regions while three bridges and nine roads are currently not passable to all types of vehicles due to flooding.
Fifteen barangays in Davao City were placed under state of calamity on Tuesday.
The tail-end of the cold front caused damages to infrastructure worth P51.1 million and damages to agriculture worth P6.76 million, or a total of P57.94 million, the NDRRMC said. (Emmanuel Louis Bacani/Sunnex)