Korean wanted for murder, robbery to be deported-A A +A
Thursday, January 31, 2013
MANILA -- A Korean national wanted for murder and robbery in his country and who was charged and detained in Cebu City for kidnapping a compatriot there will be deported soon, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said Thursday.
BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said Kim Sung Kon, alias Jacky Kim, was arrested last January 28 when he was picked up by immigration agents at the Cebu city jail.
The Cebu City Regional Trial Court had just dismissed a kidnapping case filed against the Korean when he was apprehended by BI operatives and brought to Manila.
Kim, according to David, is the subject of an Interpol red notice for involvement in murder and robbery wherein he and another Korean got US$100,000 before fleeing to the Philippines.
He and his accomplice were later charged before a district court in Suwon, South Korea, which issued a warrant for the suspects' arrest.
"We will immediately deport him because we have already issued the order for his summary deportation," David added.
Lawyer Jose Carlitos Licas, BI intelligence assistant chief, said Kim was detained in Cebu since June 2011 following his arrest by the Philippine National Police anti-kidnapping task force.
Licas said the Cebu court issued the warrant for Kim's arrest after he and four compatriots were charged for kidnapping a Korean named Kwon Young Hoon at the Mango Square along Gen. Maxilom Ave., Cebu City on August 21, 2011.
Their victim had claimed he was handcuffed, blindfolded and mauled by the suspects for two days and that he was freed after he paid his abductors US$7,000.
Licas disclosed that the Korean embassy had sought Kim's deportation to Korea as early as June last year and asked that he be prevented from leaving the Philippines while his court case was pending. (SDR/Sunnex)