5 undocumented Filipina entertainers held-A A +A
Friday, February 8, 2013
MANILA -- The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has prevented a human trafficking scheme that deploys undocumented Filipina entertainers to South Korea.
Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. said the illegal activity was uncovered after five Filipinas bound for Seoul were intercepted last week at the departure area of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 2 and prevented from leaving the country.
David said the women were about to board a Philippine Airlines flight to Hong Kong when they were invited for secondary inspection by members of the BI travel control and enforcement unit after they were profiled as tourist workers.
The women initially insisted that they were tourists who would be vacationing in Hong Kong but upon thorough questioning they finally admitted that their destination is South Korea to work.
David again warned would-be overseas workers against dealing with human trafficking syndicates and urged them to secure their exit permits from the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
He said those who work abroad without proper documentation are exposing themselves to possible abuse, maltreatment and unfair labor practices.
"There have been reports of some Filipinas in South Korea who were hired as entertainers but were forced into prostitution by their employers," David added.
Lawyer Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI acting intelligence chief, declined to reveal the names of the women because the anti-human trafficking act prohibits the public disclosure of human trafficking victims.
Mangrobang said the victims were later turned over to the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking for further investigation. (SDR/Sunnex)