Binay: No public funds used in family trip-A A +A
Thursday, February 14, 2013
MANILA -- Vice President Jejomar Binay denied Thursday that his family used public funds during its trip to Italy last year.
The accusation was released by the ruling Liberal Party (LP) quoting House Majority Leader Neptali "Boyet" Gonzales II.
Gonzales, however, denied the story in a text message. "Not mine," Gonzales said.
In a press statement, Binay's spokesperson Joey Salgado said the trip was paid for by the children of the Vice President as a surprise wedding gift for him and his wife, Dra. Elenita Binay.
"Sorry to disappoint the LP. No government funds were used. All disbursements of the Office of the Vice President are subject to audit by the Commission on Audit," Salgado said.
Binay, one of the so-called Three Kings of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA), earlier said that LP was using government resources to sabotage the sorties of their political party. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)