Conspiracy theory on Kiram's operation to reclaim Sabah a hoax – UNA-A A +A
Thursday, March 7, 2013
BULACAN -- President Benigno Aquino III is peddling an alleged conspiracy by his political opponents to reclaim Sabah as an excuse to the government's mishandling of the ongoing standoff between the armed followers of the Sulu Sultanate and Malaysian security forces.
In a chance interview, senatorial candidate Mitos Magsaysay said Aquino should just resolve the crisis peacefully by personally talking to Sultan Jamalul Kiram III and avoid probing allies of the past administration who possibly financed the operation.
"They are pointing fingers to everybody except themselves," she said on Thursday. "Kiram only asked the President to talk to him and discuss the issue. There's no harm in putting down your pride even if you are the President of the Philippines."
The President had said he will only talk to Kiram if he will order his men to leave Sabah. He even blamed the clan's ancestors for the current mess since they leased the territory to a British firm in 1878.
The British, who believed it was ceded, annexed the territory to Malaysia when it gained independence from them in 1963.
At least 27 people have been killed in the armed clashes since last week as Malaysia even branded the group's actions as terrorism.
"It (bloodshed) could have been prevented if he gave importance to Kiram's concern way back in 2010," Magsaysay said, referring to the Sultan's missing letter, which has been found with the DFA.
On the other hand, former Senator Ernesto Maceda said Aquino should talk to Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak and come up with a ceasefire agreement.
"He (Aquino) cannot keep distancing himself with so many casualties," he said.
Magsaysay and Maceda are here for a series of campaign sorties and meetings with local candidates under the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA). (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)