House panel approves consolidated FOI bill

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 07:02 p.m.

AFTER almost a year of deliberations in the technical working group (TWG), the committee on public information in the House of Representatives approved the consolidated Freedom of Information (FOI) Bill.

Voting 10-3, the congressional panel headed by Misamis Oriental Representative Jorge Almonte accepted the consolidated version of the FOI Bill, which is consisted of 24 separate versions.

Customs’ revenues up to P299.95B from January to October

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:14 p.m.

THE Bureau of Customs' revenues in October hit P34.16 billion, 22.6 percent higher compared to the same period last year.

BOC said the increased revenues was due to continued growth in the volume and value of imports.

Aquino offers incentives for renewable energy

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 06:11 p.m.

PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III vowed Monday to provide incentives for companies that will invest in renewable energy.

Aquino made the statement when he led the inauguration of SM North EDSA solar project, composed of 5,760 solar panels installed at the rooftop of the multilevel parking building and which is expected to generate 1.5 megawatts of power.

Santiago hits ‘minefields’ in government savings

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:54 p.m.

SENATOR Miriam Defensor Santiago said on Monday the 2015 national budget suffers from two "dangerous minefields": the redefinition of savings and the retention of pork barrel funds.

In her privilege speech, Santiago said the definition of savings is "unconstitutional" since it is used without defining it.

AMLC fails to present Luy’s bank records

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:34 p.m.

DUE to the Bank Secrecy Law's provisions and insufficient time, the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) has failed to present the bank records of pork barrel scam whistleblower Benhur Luy, which was previously asked by the camp of Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada.

During Estrada's bail hearing at the Sandiganbayan fifth division on Monday, lawyer Joel Jimenez told the anti-graft court that it was only last November 21 when the AMLC did received a copy the subpoena for Luy's bank accounts, adding the agency need more time to submit the documents.

Abandoned suitcase triggers bomb scare in Makati

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 03:34 p.m.

AN ABANDONED suitcase found near a convenience store at the corner of Makati Avenue and Paseo de Roxas in Makati City created a bomb scare on Monday, police said.

However, authorities found it contained only various tools.

Government to provide additional budget for SUCs in 2015

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:59 p.m.

(Updated) SENATOR Teofisto Guingona III said on Monday the government will allocate additional funds for state universities and colleges (SUCs) to hire permanent educators, provide more scholarships, and modernize school facilities and curriculum.

On top of the P41.79 billion budget for SUCs, some P5 billion will be funded for filling up of faculty plantilla positions in the 113 SUCs.

San Miguel’s e-payment card to reach Visayas, Mindanao soon

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:38 p.m.

CONSUMERS in Visayas and Mindanao can soon avail themselves of San Miguel Corporation’s Sweep, a reloadable cash card that can be used to pay for goods and services by just one tap.

Autosweep Post Corporation marketing manager Kate Hassaram said in an email that they are planning to introduce the card, which was launched in Manila early this year, to key areas like Cebu, Davao, Boracay and Cagayan de Oro in 2015.

Battle for Palparan custody reaches CA

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 02:31 p.m.

MOTHERS of missing college students Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño recently asked the Court of Appeals (CA) to detain retired Major General Jovito Palparan in an ordinary jail.

In a petition, Erlinda Cadapan and Concepcion Empeño questioned the Malolos court's orders transferring Palparan's custody from the Bulacan Provincial Jail to the Philippine Army Custodial Center (PACC) in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City and denying the motion to have him committed in an ordinary civilian jail.

Philippines convicts 9 Chinese for poaching

Monday, November 24, 2014 - 01:34 p.m.

MANILA (Updated) -- A Philippine court convicted Monday nine Chinese fishermen for poaching and taking hundreds of endangered giant sea turtles from a disputed shoal in the West Philippine Sea.

The fishermen were arrested in May at Half Moon Shoal and their boat and catch of 555 endangered sea turtles were seized. The arrests sparked another spat between the Asian neighbors in the increasingly volatile West Philippine Sea.

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • goodearth
  • Sunstar Multimedia