Davide, Magpale vow 12-0 win for Team PNoy-A A +A
Friday, April 19, 2013
CEBU CITY (Updated) -- Liberal Party (LP) gubernatorial bet Hilario “Junjun” Davide and his runningmate Acting Governor Agnes Magpale vowed to work for a 12-0 win for administration senatorial candidates in the province of Cebu.
Davide will go against One Cebu's Pablo John Garcia, while Magpale will fight her relative, former Danao vice mayor Ramon “Boboy” Durano IV.
“We are picking up, makikita nyo naman, nine to 10 (candidates) ang pumapasok sa survey. We will aim for 12-0,” Davide earlier told reporters.
“Napakalaki ng chances ng Team PNoy to get 12-0 victory here, especially we are riding on the issue of change, part of it is the fight against graft and corruption. People obviously want change in the provincial leadership,” Magpale said.
Cebu has the biggest number of voters with 2.5 million.
The administration coalition held a rally at the Cebu Provincial Capitol Friday afternoon, together with candidates of the Bando Osmena Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK) led by mayoral bet Tomas Osmena. President Benigno Aquino III was around to back them up.
Also present were senatoriables Risa Hontiveros, Sonny Angara, Bam Aquino, Loren Legarda, Koko Pimentel, Jamby Madrigal, and Ramon Magsaysay, as well as Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, and Senator Franklin Drilon.
The Cebu City Police Office deployed close to a hundred personnel to secure the political activity, which started around 4:30 p.m.
Davide said earlier that his opponent, Pablo John Garcia, has a dim chance of succeeding her sister Gwendolyn Garcia in the Capitol, because of her suspension due to grave abuse of authority.
Garcia is currently fighting her suspension before the Court of Appeals (CA), while Magpale runs the affairs of the province at the Provincial Government.
“They (Garcias) may be popular here, but after what they have done at the Capitol, I don't think the people will be drawn to them anymore,” Davide said, referring to the governor's defiance to leave the Capitol after the suspension order was served last December 19.
“Nagmamatigas pa siya, the Cebuanos realize na mali ang ginagawa niya, we are hopeful that the Cebuanos will make the right choices on May 13,” he added.
The suspended governor, who is eyeing to replace her brother as third district representative, is also facing two counts of graft and one count of technical malversation before the Sandiganbayan over the Provincial Government’s anomalous purchase of land for a housing site in 2008.
Garcia pleaded not guilty to the charges last month. (Kathrina Alvarez/Sunnex)