3 dead, 4 missing amid floods-A A +A
Monday, August 19, 2013
Seven-year-old boy Joros Miyage is still missing, according to the 4 p.m. report of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
Also missing were Rosalino Calantay (Tubo, Abra) and Monching Bakidan (Bontoc, Mt. Province) after crossing a river, and Marissa Manaois, who was trapped inside the Sumaguing Cave in Sagada, Mountain Province.
A man perished in a vehicular accident in Cabugao, Apayao while nine unidentified individuals sustained injuries.
Francisco Betasolo and Aida Betasolo were also injured due to a fence that gave way due to heavy rains in Binangonan, Rizal.
Five towns in Laguna, two municipalities in Ilocos Sur and the whole province of Cavite, meanwhile, were placed under state of calamity, giving local officials access to funds for disaster response.
A total of 213 barangays in 36 municipalities in Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, and National Capital Region (NCR) remain flooded.
The NDRRMC said 19,981 families or 94,226 individuals have been affected by the inclement weather in Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, NCR and Cordillera Administrative Region. So far, 507 families representing 2,168 people are taking shelter in 16 schools and three covered courts in Calabarzon and NCR.
The coastal town of Rosario in Cavite, which has yet to move on from a recent massive oil spill caused by an underwater pipeline of Petron Corp., has the most number of affected residents at 50,000 followed by Hermosa, Bataan (15,855) and Samal, Bataan (5,855).
Government work and classes in Metro Manila and some provinces were called off, several flights to and from Manila were cancelled, while trading of equities, government securities and currency were halted.
Classes in Cavite, Las Piñas, Manila, Taguig, San Juan, Valenzuela and Parañaque on Tuesday, August 20, are still suspended.
President Benigno Aquino III said there was no need to give fresh directives to the concerned government agencies as they have been doing their work to lessen the flooding in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.
Aquino told reporters that the massive flooding experienced in the metropolis and other parts of Luzon was expected because of the torrential rains that continued to pour since Sunday night coupled with high tide in Manila Bay.
"So sa dami nga ng ulan na bumagsak, na dahil doon sa bagyong humahatak, ‘no, nag-e-enhance ng monsoon, ay talagang bumuhos nang husto lahat ito. At ‘yung low-lying areas nga ay kagabi pa lang binibigyan na ng mga kaukulang babala, hindi lang sa NCR, ano, pati na rin sa Region IV-A at saka Central Luzon, plus portions of La Union," he said.
Asked if he has fresh directives to speed up the flood control projects and to assist the victims of flooding, the President said, "There are no fresh instructions."
"Instructions have already been given from the start -- from the very first storm that we had to encounter," he added.
In fairness to the Department of Public Works and Highways and the Metro Manila Development Authority, Aquino said that since Sunday night, they have been cleaning up the trash in major waterways.
He also said that the relocation of those families in danger zones continues.
"'Yung unang grupo na apektado ng San Juan River dinala na sa San Jose del Monte, Bulacan at mas panatag na ‘yung loob nila doon sa San Jose del Monte, Bulacan. ‘Yung second group is ongoing dito naman sa side ng Quezon City, ano, affected by the San Juan River," he said.
To mitigate effects of climate change and disasters, the government already crafted the Master Plan for Flood Management in Metro Manila and Surrounding Areas, using the river basin approach to flood management.
The Plan will provide a sustainable long-term flood management strategy to be fully implemented up to 2035, covering not only Metro Manila, but also the surrounding provinces.
Maring, which remains stationary over Batanes because of a high pressure area, is expected to be out of the country by Thursday, said a report by the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa).
It is packing winds of up to 75 kilometers per hour and gustiness of up to 90 kph.
The storm was last seen 580 kilometers east of Itbayat, Batanes and is moving at 7 kph as of 4 p.m. Monday.
Metro Manila, Ilocos Region, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Panay and the provinces of Benguet and Occidental Mindoro will experience monsoon rains on Tuesday that may trigger flashfloods and landslides.
Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, rest of Luzon and Visayas will have cloudy skies with light to moderate rainshowers and thunderstorms. The rest of Mindanao will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms, Pagasa said.
Weather website accuweather.com said Maring is forecast to approach northern Taiwan by Wednesday and could impact parts of southeastern China later in the week. (Virgil Lopez/SDR/Sunnex)