De Lima unfazed by assassination plot-A A +A
Monday, August 19, 2013
JUSTICE Secretary Leila de Lima said she is validating reports of a P25-million contract to kill her and two other people in connection with the pork barrel scam allegedly hatched by fugitive businesswoman Janet Napoles.
Also in the supposed hit list are Rojas and Levito Baligod, lawyer of whistleblower Benhur Luy, whose alleged detention for three months by Napoles and her brother Reynald Lim resulted in a nationwide manhunt against the businesswoman and Lim.
A report said former soldiers and policemen from Basilan have been hired to kill De Lima, Rojas and Baligod.
"In any case, I can only echo what Director Rojas had already expressed – such reported assassination plot, if true, cannot and will not deter us from doing our job. On the contrary, it can only embolden us to finish through the ongoing probe to its logical conclusion, i.e., the filing of charges," said De Lima over the weekend.
The NBI has been probing the alleged misuse of the priority development assistance fund (PDAF) of some lawmakers using fake non government organizations (NGOs) as beneficiaries.
Napoles allegedly has 20 dummy NGOs which got some P10 billion in the past decade. The Commission on Audit (COA), on the other hand, said 10 NGOs linked to Napoles received P2.15 billion from 2007 to 2009 alone.
This prompted De Lima to investigate the scam as she promised to prosecute officials involved.
Last year, the Justice chief confirmed receiving death threats possibly from former Major General Jovito Palparan, who has yet to be arrested in the enforced disappearance of University of the Philippines student-activists Karen Empeño and Sherlyn Cadapan. (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)