Pagasa drops 'Labuyo' from list of cyclone names-A A +A
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
STRIKE "Labuyo" out of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration's (Pagasa) list of Philippine tropical cyclone names, as it caused more than P1-billion damage to agriculture and infrastructure.
A radio report quoted Pagasa deputy administrator Flaviana Hilario as saying the P1-billion damage threshold to decommission a name had been breached by Labuyo, which was internationally codenamed Utor.
A cyclone name can only be delisted if the damage exceeds P1 billion or if it killed over 300 people, said Pagasa public information chief Venus Valdemoro in a text message.
Figures from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council showed Labuyo caused P1.419 billion in damage. This included P414.11 million in infrastructure and P1.004 billion in agriculture.
Aside from the damage, at least 11 were killed and three remain missing in Labuyo's wake.
"Ang reason ana kay matrauma ang mga tawo...They will remember their traumatic experience....They will be traumatized if they hear the same name," said Pagasa Mactan station chief Oscar Tabada.
Listen to Tabada’s statement:
Pagasa has retired several cyclone names in the past. In December 2012, the state weather bureau dropped the name "Pablo" after the typhoon caused damage of about P10 billion and claimed hundreds of lives.
Other names of cyclones deleted from Pagasa's list include Milenyo (2006), Reming (2006), Ondoy (2009) and
In 2011 alone, Pagasa decommissioned five cyclone names; Bebeng, Juaning, Mina, Pedring, and Sendong, which killed over 1,000 people in its four-day swing in Visayas and Mindanao in December.
Pagasa currently uses 140 names of tropical cyclones with names repeated every five years until 2024. Forty of which are auxiliary names. (JK/Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)