Aquino off to China next week-A A +A
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III will visit China next week, his first after a tense maritime standoff last year between the two countries over Bajo de Masinloc off Zambales.
"We will travel to China...next week," the Chief Executive told the attendees in the 2013 Apolinario Mabini Awarding Ceremony in Malacanang.
Jokingly, he said that his trip to China was "long" since he would leave Manila at five in the morning and would return at five in the afternoon of same day.
The President's trip will take place on September 3. He will participate in the opening of the 10th China-ASEAN Expo (CAEXPO) in Nanning, Gungxi, China from September 3-6.
The Philippines will be the Country of Honor in the event.
It was not yet clear if Aquino would be holding a bilateral meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping during his trip to Nanning.
The Philippines and China have been embroiled in a territorial row over the group of islands, attols and shoals in the West Philippine Sea.
A standoff occurred between the Philippne and Chinese ships off Bajo de Masinloc in April last year and lasted for about two months.
The Philippines has brought up the territorial row with China to the United Nations Arbitral Tribunal for its resolution. (SDR/Sunnex)